Photojournalism by , , and

Web development by

Nov. 8, 2020

After former Vice President Joe Biden was declared the winner of the 2020 presidential election, hundreds of President Donald Trump's supporters gathered on the steps of the Michigan Capitol to protest the election results.

A person wearing a Trump hat prays.

Alyte Katilius / The State News

David Richey, a pastor from Vassar, Michigan, prays on the steps of the Michigan State Capitol following the news that Joe Biden has won the presidential election. "Abortion is very dear to my heart. There is so much turmoil. There's so much going on. We all need God," he said.

A Biden supporter and a Trump supporter take turns speaking on the steps of the Michigan State Capitol on Nov. 7, 2020. Primarily Trump supporters, but a few Biden supporters, flocked to the Michigan State Capitol after Joe Biden was deemed the winner of the 2020 presidential election.

Two people stand next to each other, one holding a Biden sign and the other holding a Trump sign.

Annie Barker / The State News

A person sells Trump and America themed merchandise.

Annie Barker / The State News

A man sells Trump and America themed shirts, hats and flags at the Michigan State Capitol on Nov. 7, 2020. Primarily Trump supporters, but a few Biden supporters, flocked to the Capitol after Joe Biden was deemed the winner of the 2020 presidential election.

Greg Bazzani hands out information pamphlets including miniature Constitutions at the Michigan State Capitol on Nov. 7, 2020. Primarily Trump supporters, but a few Biden supporters, flocked to the Capitol after Joe Biden was deemed the winner of the 2020 presidential election.

A person kneels and hands out pamphlets.

Annie Barker / The State News

A person dressed in revolutionary clothing talks to a young child and their mother.

Di'Amond Moore / The State News

A supporter of President Donald Trump dressed as a founding father standing on the steps of the Michigan State Capitol talking to a young girl and her mother at the Stop the Steal rally on Nov. 7, 2020.

A crowd of people hold Trump flags, one woman holds a sign that reads, Don't mess with my president or my vote.

Lauren DeMay / The State News

Trump supporters from all over gather in front of the Lansing Capitol to protest Biden becoming the United States' next president. Shot on Nov. 7, 2020.

In two images side by side, two people argue.

Lauren DeMay and Alyte Katilius / The State News

Left: Nathanael Jefferson, who supports Biden, argues with a Trump supporter about the results of the presidential election. Trump supporters from all over gather in front of the Lansing Capitol Building to protest against Biden becoming the next president. Shot on Nov. 7, 2020.

Right: Nathanael Jefferson, a resident of East Lansing, stepped in when an attendee of the "Stop the Steal" rally intentionally sneezed in another woman's face, who had come to show support for Joe Biden and BLM. "I didn’t come down here to purposely have an argument with people. But when I seen them being mistreated, that’s when I had to act," he said.

A person wearing a Trump hat prays.

Alyte Katilius / The State News

Michael Clarke, an Elvis impersonator from Muskegon, Michigan, attends a "Stop the Steal" rally at the Michigan State Captiol on Nov. 7, 2020 following the results of the presidential election. "We want freedom. We think the election was rigged. We were winning," he said.

A person raises their fist while a group of Trump supporters gather on the steps of the Michigan Capitol.

Lauren DeMay / The State News

Trump supporters from all over gather in front of the Lansing Capitol Building to protest against Biden becoming the next president. Shot on Nov. 7, 2020.

Protestors gather at a "Stop the Steal" rally at the Michigan State Capitol on Nov. 7, 2020 following the release of the presidential election results.

A silhouette of a person holding their phone up.

Alyte Katilius / The State News

A person wearing a face mask stands in the foreground while a person wearing a Trump hat stands in the background.

Alyte Katilius / The State News

Nathanael Jefferson, a resident of East Lansing, MI stepped in when an attendee of the "Stop the Steal" rally intentionally sneezed in another woman's face, who had come to show support for Joe Biden and BLM.

A person holds a sign in the foreground while Trump supporters gather in the background.

Lauren DeMay / The State News

A person speaks through a megaphone while others surround them holding flags and signs in support of Donald Trump.

Di'Amond Moore / The State News

Trump supporters take turns giving speeches about their thoughts on the election while standing on the steps of the Michigan State Capitol during the Stop The Steal rally on Nov. 7, 2020.

Two people stand, one holding a Trump flag and the other speaking through a megaphone.

Alyte Katilius / The State News

A crowd of people wave  flags and wear clothing in support of Donald Trump.

Alyte Katilius / The State News

A crowd of people gather at the Michigan State Capitol.

Annie Barker / The State News

Primarily Trump supporters, but a few Biden supporters, flocked to the Michigan State Capitol after Joe Biden was deemed the winner of the 2020 presidential election on Nov. 7, 2020.